Deborah’s Room Restaurant at JUSTIN offers a seasonal, ever-changing menu of foods that surprise and delight the palate. For our summer menu, we have set the spotlight on sweet white corn, a classic American summer treat.
Even though it was created by a world-class chef (our own Executive Chef Will Torres!), this recipe is quite simple to prepare. This slightly sweet soup is a refreshing summer appetizer – your guests are sure to be impressed!
Chef Will developed this light, fresh soup to pair precisely with our 2009 Sauvignon Blanc. The grassy flavors found in the wine, which are characteristic of Sauvignon Blanc, compliment the grassiness of the corn. Together with the citrus notes of the wine and the lime in the Sriracha Crème Fraîche, our White Corn Soup and Sauvignon Blanc are a perfect pairing!
8 ears white corn
2 medium yellow onions (small dice)
4 tablespoons butter
2 bay leaves
Champagne Vinegar, to taste
Salt and white pepper, to taste
2 oysters (dusted in cornmeal)
1 oz caviar
Sriracha Crème Fraîche (Recipe follows)
· Slice corn off of cob and keep kernels separate.
· Place cobs and 4 quarts water in a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain.
· Rinse pot, then add butter, onion, bay leaves and corn kernels. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
· Add in corn stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for another 30 minutes.
· Blend in a blender until smooth (a minute or so each batch), then strain through a fine mesh strainer.
· Once blended, check seasoning and acidity. Adjust with vinegar, salt, and white pepper. Keep Warm.
· Pan-fry cornmeal dusted oysters in a little butter. Cook about 1 minute each side.
· Garnish dish with about a tablespoon of Sriracha Crème Fraîche, caviar, and oysters; pour soup over and serve.
Chef’s tip: You can also add some chopped chives, basil, or cilantro if you like.
1 cup Crème Fraîche (can substitute Sour Cream)
4 tablespoons Sriracha (Available at local market, in Asian section)
¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Lime Juice
Salt and Pepper, to taste
· Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Check seasoning with salt and pepper and if you need add a little extra lime juice.
One of Paso Robles’ Top Restaurants, Deborah’s Room is open for lunch on Saturdays & Sundays from 12pm to 4pm. Dinner is served nightly at 6:30, 7:00 and 7:30. Please call or email us for reservations: 805-238-6932 x3224 or 800-726-0049 x3224; email@example.com.